Spring lasted about 3 days! Monday and Tuesday it's poured down almost non-stop. It's more like March weather than May. But then the weather in March was more like Dec. Finally this morning it cleared up and is nice again. It's actually supposed to be nice for the weekend. That doesn't happen very often here for Memorial weekend. We usually always have cloudy rainy days. I guess we will have to wait and see if the weathermen are right or not.
Last night I was going to teach a Dutch oven cooking class to the YW. When it was pouring down rain I figured they would cancel it but they didn't. I had called the camp director and left a message for her to start the coals. She didn't listen to the message so that didn't happen. The plan was to do it in the woods behind her house. She dumped the charcoal out and couldn't get the lighter to work. All the time it's pouring down rain and the coals are getting more soaked. She finally went to the house and got some matches. I'm not sure how old they were but there was no way they would light. We'd strike them and the tips would break off. We're still getting drenched. Finally she said she was going into the house to light a candle and bring it out to start the charcoal. Kathryn Kesterson and I just looked at each other and wondered how she thought she was going to keep the candle lit long enough to start the now soaked coals. After about 10 min. of waiting for her to return, she sent another girl out to tell us we would have to do it another time. My first thought was it's about time you realized this isn't going to work. By the time I got home my rain coat wasn't keeping the water out, and I was soaked from head to foot. We'll try again in July. Hopefully the weather will be better.
3 comments:
WOW! That is some crazy weather. You have to give it to the camp director for not giving right up but it would have been nice if she had been prepared! I hope it is nicer for you in July...hopefully we won't have all that rain for the reunion! We just need a good mix of your weather and our weather and we will be just fine!
Crazy weather! Mom, you should have taken a picture of you soaking wet! THat would have made for a good picture on the blog. I am sorry the dutch oven cooking didn't go over well.
I agree with Alanna....this post would have been much better with a picture of you soaking wet! That may have even been as popular as the one with the shoes or the bonnet!
Post a Comment