Monday, May 25, 2009

Emotional roller coaster day

I got a call this morning from Kim that they had taken Mom to the hospital. Due to the steriods she is taking for her lungs her blood suger went above 400 last night. She took 3 of her sugar pills and went to bed. This morning Rose, Kim's dog, jumped on her and woke her up. Her blood sugar had dropped to 30 and she was pretty much out of it. Kim took her some juice and bread but she threw that up. After Kim tried getting a hold of me and couldn't (I didn't have my phone with me) she called Karen and they decided she'd better call 911. Mom's body temperture was 92 and she was suffering from hyperthermia as well as the effects of a diabetic coma. After doing tests and observing her they admitted her into ICU. The Dr. told Kim that Rose was a hero because if she hadn't jumped on Mom and woke her up, Mom probably wouldn't have woke up. I'm so grateful that Kim and Matt were there for the weekend and was there again when Mom needed them.
She wasn't responding to any medication they were giving her. Her home teacher, Wally and Matt gave her a blessing. Her home teacher told her to let go that there were others on the other side waiting for her. At that point I was ready to fly out tonight to be there with her. About an hour later Kim called and said they had stopped at the hospital, after leaving to go get their things and head back home. When they left Mom was unresponsive but when they got back, Mom asked them if they were going home, told them to be careful and said that Susie had been there. Susie wasn't even sure Mom knew she had been there. I called the nurse at ICU and found out that Mom's body temperature was close to normal and her blood sugar was stable. She has some kind of infection that is causing her blood pressure to be low and if necessary they would give her medication for that. She said she was responsive and very weak. I decided to wait until morning and call at 5:00am to see what kind of night she has. If I need to I'll fly down then. If Mom is indeed improving I'll wait until my scheduled time in June to go down and take her to the lung specialist then. Thanks for all your prayers and concern. As much as I love my Mom and know I will miss her when she leaves this earth, I don't want her to suffer. I know she's anxious to be with Dad again. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that I have of the Plan of Salvation. It is indeed a blessing in my life. The gospel does bring us peace and comfort.

1 comment:

Our Biggs Family said...

We will continue to pray for grandma and also for you, mom. You need it just as much. I wish there was something we could do for you too. Our thoughts are with you. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to say goodbye, but I know what you mean about not wanting her to suffer anymore. What a tremendous blessing the plan of salvation is to us that even though we struggle with saying goodbye and living life without those we love...we know it is not forever. We know we will be together again. What a blessing and bright beacon that is to us in times of struggle. We love you and will wait to hear more.