Sunday, January 6, 2008

Flowers from Gary

I was at work on Wednesday, January 3rd (Gary's retirement day), around 10:30 am. A florist came into the office with this bouquet of flowers for me. She said that when Gary ordered them for me he told her that for 34 years I had been getting up each morning with him before work, fixing breakfast, and putting up his lunch. He told her this was his way of saying thank you. The flowers were beautiful and he had even enclosed a letter for me. I sat in my office and cried. I called home to see if Gary was there but he wasn't home from work yet so I told Jen, "Guess what Dad did..." and then started crying again.
Here is the letter that Gary enclosed with the flowers:
Maybe I ddin't love you
Quite as often as I could have,
And maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have.
If I made you feel second best,
Girl I'm sorry I was blind.
You were always on my mind.
You were always on my mind.

And maybe I didn't hold you
All those lonely, lonely times,
And I guess I never told you
I'm so happy that you're mine.
Little things I should have said and done,
I just never took the time.
But you were always on my mind.
You were always on my mind.

Tell me that your sweet love hasn't died.
And give me, give me one more chance
To keep you satisfied.
I'll keep you satisfied.

Little things I should have said and done,
I just never took the time.
But you were always on my mind.
You were always on my mind.

"ALWAYS ON MY MIND"
By Willie Nelson

Thank you for all the years you got up in the morning to fix breakfast for me, put up my lunch, make treats for me to take into work and take me to work when I was too late to get in my vanpool and any other things I forgot now. I know I've thanked you for those things before but I felt you needed something more. This is that "something more". I LOVE YOU!

Gary



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

brownie points for dad. I am impressed. What a nice letter. We all appreciated all those mornings that you would get up with us as we got ready for seminary, school and/or work.

Matt and kim Cloward said...

nice job dad. And I diddo what Alanna said. I'm also thankfull that you are so willing to do whatever we need. And that you were willing to come out here when i had my surgery if I needed you to. What a great example you are to all of us.