We started out the day by stopping at a Country Store. We arrived at 8:00am and the store didn't open until 9:00. Our tour guide had made arrangements with the owners of the store to let us shop for an hour before it opened. It was fun to browse around. They had anything from clothes, to food, to toys, to cosmetics, soaps and lotions to anything you can imagine or need. It reminded me a lot of Smith and Edwards in Brigham (excluding the army surplus stuff). They had a lot of the candy, etc. that Dad and I had when we were younger that we thought were no longer available. Such as Blackjack gum, (taste like black licorice), Fizzies (a tablet that you drop in water and it fizzes the water and makes it taste carbonated, we got root beer flavored) and Bosco (chocolate syrup). It was a fun store to just browse and reminisce. Before long it was time to load the bus and head to Plymouth Notch, Vermont to President Calvin Coolidge's house.
Plymouth Notch is the birthplace and boyhood home of Pres. Coolidge, the 30th Pres. of the US. The village hasn't changed much since the early 20th century. The homes, etc. have been carefully preserved and many of the furnishings are original.
When Pres. Harding (Calvin Coolidge was VP at that time) died unexpectedly, Pres. Coolidge was visiting his family. His father knowing how important it was to give him the oath of the office as soon as possible administered it to him at 2:47a.m. on Aug. 3, 1923. Since he was a notary public he had the authority to do it. Years later he was asked "How did you know you could administer the presidential oath to your own son?", in which he replied, "I didn't know that I couldn't."
We then rode to Woodstock, New Hampshire which is described as "the prettiest small town in America".
2 comments:
I loved reading about this day of your trip. It must be amazing to have been able to see so much of the country's history and landscape. I am excited to help you with your book when you come out.
So many fun pictures! It's neat to learn a little bit too as I read your posts.
Post a Comment