Monday, September 14, 2009

My Life in a Jar #9

Did it snow where you lived in your childhood? What kinds of things did you do in it?
Yes it snowed in Smithfield. Most years we wouldn't get snow until Nov. but there were a few years that we had snow in Oct. I can remember a few Halloween's that we went trick or treating in the snow. BURR!
When I was younger we'd play outside in the snow building forts and having snowball fights. When we'd get cold, we'd go inside for hot chocolate and toast. A favorite winter time snack. There was a hill about 2 blocks north of our place where we'd go sledding. It was a gathering place for the kids in our neighborhood. I spent many hours there with my friends. Our elementy school had an ice skating pond where we would spend time after school and on weekends skating. I loved to ice skate. After I graduated from high school a friend talked me into going skiing with her. I was hooked after the first time. After that it seemed like Karen and I would spend any day off work up at Beaver Mountain skiing. We would also go to the mountains and go snow shoeing.
About the only thing I didn't like about winter was getting stuck in the snow and shoveling the drive way. Growing up winter was my favorite time of the year.

2 comments:

Our Biggs Family said...

I really enjoyed reading all your memories of the things you did in the snow.

Anonymous said...

Fun to read about your snow memories! I stated to type mine and then my internet shut down and I lost it...haven;t started to retype it yet!