Saturday, June 21, 2008

Race for the Cure

Otherwise known as "Trotting for Tits." (according to Dad)

Alanna, Vera Reynolds and I got up early to catch the ferry into Seattle for the Race for the Cure. It was so impressive to see the amount of people who entered this race and the support there was to find a cure for breast cancer. We did the race in celebration for Mom, Mary Ellen and Suzanne. As I looked around and saw everyone there with one goal in mind, I became emotional. I felt like I was honoring Mom and all she had gone through with her battle against breast cancer. My dream is to one day do this race with all 3 of my daughters, and my granddaughters, as we push Mom in a wheel chair. We could wear shirts that say 4 Generations racing for the cure. I know Mom would love being a part of this event and feel the excitement and love that was so prevalent. It's hard to describe the feelings I felt. I thought a lot of Mom and what she went through, how this disease can possibly run in our family and could affect my daughters and granddaughters and their families, if no cure is soon found. It was a day I will remember and a tradition I hope to continue to do for many years to come. Thanks Alanna for being my hero and asking me to do this with you. Thanks to Mom for being the survivor and showing us that it can be beaten. Mostly Mom for the positive attitude you showed through your battle. I know it wasn't easy but you taught us so much.

Check out the following link to see the news broadcast. Right after the little girl, Hannah, talks you see three people waving on the left hand side. That is Me,Vera and Alanna!
http://www.komonews.com/home/video/20632534.html?video=pop&t=a

1 comment:

Our Biggs Family said...

That is awesome. I got emotional just reading about your experience. It would be awesome to do with all of us. We need to just schedule one and do it!