Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bendict House


Once a year our ward cooks dinner for a week at the Benedict House. It is a half way house for men, located in Bremerton. They are on their own for breakfast and lunch but dinner is provided by churches and other organizations. Bro. Chadwick our ward's High Priest Group leader, asked Gary and I if we would head up dinner for the 21st. I have participated for the last two years helping others prepare and servie the dinner but I have never been completly in charge before. We prepared dinner for 22 men plus a couple of staff and the 7 of us who were there fixing dinner. We were able to eat with the men and encouraged to visit with them. We fixed chicken enchilada soup, rolls from Costco and mud pie brownies. Other than making about twice as much soup than we needed, everything turned out really good and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I enjoyed preparing dinner with our group and enjoyed visiting with the men. This is a very worth while service that our ward has chosen to participate in. There are very strict rules that the men are expected to live by as they make the necessary changes in their lives.

4 comments:

Our Biggs Family said...

I'm so glad you did a post on this. It is so fun to see and it looks like you were all having a great time. I think that is such a wonderful service opportunity. I love the picture of dad cooking and I just have one question...was it posed for the picture or was it a candid shot!

garysharon said...

It was a candid shot. Mom

garysharon said...

BUT...When I suggested we make French Toast and that I'd be the chief cook Mom said, "NO!" I wonder why...? Dad

Anonymous said...

ha ha, I have to laugh at the comments before mine! I too, like the picture of dad cooking! Way to go dad! I'm glad to see you are becoming more comfortable in the kitchen...and that apron looks good on you.

I am so glad that you guys were able to participate in thsi. I am sure the guys at the place enjoyed the dinner. And, I know you enjoyed the others that were helping you cook :)