Do you remember any of your 4 grandparents? What were their names and any memories you may have.Ruth Woolford: She is my Dad's mother. The things I remember most about her is going to the farm and spending time with her. When I was little I thought she made the best pancakes. I never learned her secret but they were sure good. Karen and I would spend the night at their placew quite often. She was the typical farmers wife. Up early to make a hot breakfast for Grandpa before he would go out to milk the cows and take care of the farm. Grandma did all the driving, I don't think Grandpa ever had a drivers license. She always had a garden with lots of strawberries. We loved it when we could go pick strawberries just to eat. She made the best sweet pickles. After I was married I asked her for the recipe but when I found out they took 21 days to make, I never made them. She usually had homemade bread and jam whenever we would visit. When I was in 6th grade they sold the farm and moved into town. She had been wanting to do it for a long time but Grandpa was a true farmer and would have been happy to farm for the rest of his life. As I got older I remember going up and sitting under the tree in the summer and playing rummy with her for hours.
Samuel Spring Dad's father. Grandpa was a tease and loved to tickle. He could also tell the most amazing stories. When we would spend the night we'd beg for Grandpa to tell us stories. It didn't seem to take much begging. I wished I had recorded some of the stories he told. He loved farming and whenever they would come to town to visit he would often say, "Mom, we need to go, the cows need milking." We would often go out to the barn and help him milk the cows. He would give us milk straight from the cow to drink. Back then I thought it was pretty good, now I think it might be the reason I don't like milk. He would also squirt it right into the cats mouth while milking. It was fun to watch the cats as they would come and moew and wait for him to give them some milk. Grandpa loved being outdoors and could always find something to do. He was an extremly hard worker but always had time to spend with us kids. He would go to church every Sunday by himself because Grandma wouldn't go. When they moved into town part of Grandpa died because he didn't have much to so. In the winter he would get up early and scrape the snow off the church (which was right across the street) sidewalk and stairs before anyone would arrive. This was a service many of his neighbors received from him as well. As Grandpa aged his memory started to fade, he spent the last several years in a nursing home where he enjoyed visiting with people. He died in may at the age of 99. He would have been 100 in Feb. He was a very kind hearted man.
Eva Grace Farmer:my Mom's mother. She was the kind of person that could make something beautiful out of anything. She loved doing crafts and quilting. She loved homemaking days at Relief Society. They lived in Ogden so we didn't see them very often. I remember spending a week at a time with them. Most of the time I remember getting so homesick that they would meet Mom and Dad half way so we could go home. My Grandpa died when I was in 2nd grade and she remarried a couple years later. After Dad and I were married and we lived in Clearfield for a couple months before heading for Alaska, we would go get them and bring them to our place for dinner. I enjoyed that time with her. My Uncle and Grandpa's daughter sold their house out from under them and put them in a rest home. I remember going to visit Grandma in the rest home every time I would go to UT. to visit. Once when Kim was a baby I took her and all the people there wanted to hold her. The last time I saw Grandma I asked my Mom how she was doing before I went to Ogden and she said she was doing pretty good. I was shocked to see this little lady tied in a wheel chair leaning over. For the most part she had no idea who I was, then all of a sudden she looked at me and said, "Sharon." Then she was gone again. It broke my heart to see her that way. Mom Later told me they had to tie her in the chair because she would walk and walk and she was loosing so much weight. They were afraid she would fall. She was always a lady.
Marion Henderson:My Mom's Dad. He died when I was in 2nd grade. I remember him coming to help Dad as remodeled our house. Grandpa was a carpenter and loved working with wood. He had an old green work van. We were always excited to see him pull in the driveway. He always had pepsi, fritos, and bubble gum for us. I think Grandpa lived on that. He was a man who would give the shirt off his back if he thought someone needed it. He never passed up a hitchhiker. From what Mom has told me, he was quite a drinker in his younger days. When he drank he would become mean. I could never picture that because he was always so gentle with us kids. By then he had stopped drinking. I always felt like I was the most important person when I was with him. I remember when he died I didn't even realize he had been sick and it was such a shock to me. I remember his funeral, it was the first funeral I had ever been to. I was not prepared and was shocked to see him in his casket. I remember really missing his visits and crying for him long after he was gone.
I loved all my Grandparents for different reasons. Each have a special spot in my heart. I know they loved me and always made me feel special.
3 comments:
I loved reading your memories of your grandparents. This is great. You made each of them come to life for me. I have really enjoyed reading all your life in a jar posts.
You have many memories of your grandparents and that is a great thing. I could record my memories of my grandparents, too, and preserve them for our kids also. Dad
Thanks for those memories! It was fun to read about them and get to know them a little bit better. I will have to write my post on this...but it'll take me a bit since I still really miss my grandmas and grandpa.
Dad, you should write about your grandparents too! I'd love to read them!!
Post a Comment