Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feeding the missionaries

The missionaries had a Zone Conference at the stake center today. Marilyn Chong was in charge of preparing the food for them. She asked Vera Reynolds and me to help. I was really excited to be able to help out. I missed being available to do things like that during the day when I was working. We made sloppy joes, (which I cried all the time making it, since it reminded me of Mom) salad, chips and a dessert made with saltine crackers. We were told there would be 60-80 when in fact there was over 100. It was such a blessing to be there with the Elders and the Sisters and the spirit they have. After they had all eaten they had us introduce ourselves and they all stood and as a thank-you, sang, "As I Have Loved you." Vera, Marilyn and I were all in tears. The spirit was so strong just hearing them sing. It reminded me of the time we meet Brandon at the mission home in France and the Elders were all singing. I'm grateful for the missionary effort of the church for the YM and YW who sacrifice their time to serve. I'm so grateful to have been able to help feed them and to be around their spirit for a short time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that you could do that and what a need spirit that was in the room as they sang!!

Our Biggs Family said...

How wonderful that you were able to help with this. I can understand you crying when making the sloppy joes. I have gotten that way when I made soup or bread because it got me thinking about Grandma. When Joel and I were at lunch after the temple on Saturday I saw an elderly lady come in and order lunch for her and her husband and take it home to him. She had hair like grandma's and I started to tear up and think of Grandma.