Friday, September 24, 2010
Day 2, Martha's Vineyard
Our second day we took a ferry to Martha's Vineyard Island. It was about an hour ride. The ferry was a lot smaller than the ones we have here and not nearly as nice.
During the early 1800's the people would have a religious camp on the Island every year. People would come from all around to it. It started out being just a couple days long then went to a week long and eventually longer. Since people had to bring all their food, tents etc. it was a sacrifice for them. Eventually the people started to buy small lots to put a 3 sided tent on and leave it from year to year. As time went on they started to build pre-fabed cottages from Sears. It was about the time that the scroll saws were invented so they could personalize their cottages. There are only about 250 cottages and 50 of them have been winterized and only 10 families stay there year round. These cottages have been handed down through their family for generations. They are only 500 sq. ft. and one sold last for $1,000,000. There's one on the market this year for $500,000. Some of the families bought more than one lot and added several homes together for a larger home. They have an outdoor tabernacle that they use for the religious camp once a year. There are several celebrities that live on the Island and it's very expensive to live there.
The light house was one of many that we saw while on our trip. They are different than the ones on the west coast. They are smaller and you can just walk to them and not have to hike down to them.
The last picture is a sign outside of an ice cream shop, showing lobster ice cream. I didn't even want to try it. I like ice cream and lobster but I don't think they would go together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I loved seeing the calendar with all the homes yhou showed us. I agree with you...I don't think I would try lobster ice cream either!
I loved learning about the history behind these places you visited. I can't believe you didn't try the lobster ice cream...just to say you tried it. You never know...maybe you would like it! :)
Post a Comment