Write about some places you went with your Mother.
I'm thankful for these questions at this time that is forcing me to write memories of my Mother. When I was younger the places I mostly went with my Mom was shopping or to a movie now and then. As I got older and moved away from home and would go back to visit, it usually meant time going to Logan shopping. As Dad got older and was having a hard time being home alone without Mom those shopping trips to Logan were less and less. After Dad past away we were again able to go shopping and spend more one on one with Mom. For 2 years in a row Karen and I met together at Mom's and took her to Salt Lake and stayed in a motel pampering her a bit. One year Kim, Alanna and Tiffany were able to be there with us. We went to the Peppermint Factory, to a Mexican restaurant where there were Cliff divers, to a Taste of Home demonstration and of course some shopping. We also took Mom to Salt Lake to the lung specialist. The next year Tiffany wasn't able to join us but Jennifer could and Mary was just a baby and it was fun having them there with us as well. Again we went to the Peppermint Factory, shopping at IKEA and Mom out last us all. She didn't get a chance very often to go look at places like that and she had to make sure she looked at everything. We also made some bracelets and cards while at the hotel.
One year when Alanna brought Mom up here to visit, she wanted to go to IKEA and the Super Mall. I knew traveling back and forth and going to both places would be too much for her in 1 day, we decided to get a motel close to IKEA. We did facials that night and that's when Alanna waxed her face. Something Mom and I would chuckle about every time we were together after that.
One summer Kim brought Mom up to visit. It was the lavander festival in Suquim. Kim wanted to go. It was fun seeing all the lavendar displays and even bought a couple things. There were people building sand castles, Mom especially enjoyed watching them build them.
The last couple years when I would go home I would make sure we went out to eat some place. Going out to eat was something Mom enjoyed and wouldn't do by herself. It didn't have to be any place special. She especially enjoyed Sizzler's salad bar.
When Alanna had her open house in UT. I took Mom to Salt Lake and got a motel. We went to Ti Pan shopping. Since it was in Oct. they had all their Christmas decorations up and Mom enjoyed looking at everything. She bought some cute little mugs for her Red Hat ladies for Christmas. The next morning Kim wanted to run into Ti Pan and get some of the mugs. I thought we'd just let her run in quick and we'd wait in the car, since our time was limited. But no way, Mom had to go look one more time in case she had missed something.
I'm so grateful for the special times I had with her. It's something that I will always cherish. I'm glad also that my children were able to be a part of these times with us.
3 comments:
What a great opportunity to reflect and write about these memories. I so enjoy reading them. I will cherish the time Mary and I were able to come and spend that time with everyone. Grandma is a very special lady.
Those were special times you'll always cherish, especially after having written them down. Gary
what fun memories and it's nice that you are going to ave this all written down for you to refer back to! I loved those times we spent with grandma! I remember when she out lasted us in IKEA!!!!!
Post a Comment