List each one of your aunts and uncles and tell one thing about each of them.
Mom's side
Uncle Dean and Aunt Melba: Uncle Dean is Mom's brother. They lived in Ogden and we would vist them occasionally. Their children were quite a bit older than me so I didn't have much in common with them.
Aunt Eva and Uncle Herbert: Aunt Eva is Mom's sister. They lived in Salt Lake. Even though they didn't have any children my age I loved visiting with them. They had a beautiful back yard and the adults would always play a game of horseshoes. It was just fun watching them play.
Aunt Ivy: I really didn't know Aunt Ivy at all. I think I only saw her a couple of times before she died.
Uncle Onis: When he was younger he had surgery on his throat. This caused him so he couldn't talk very loud, it was as if he was always whispering. About the only time I saw him was when he'd stop by our place to visit.
Uncle Otto and Aunt Melba: Uncle Otto was Mom's brother. They lived in Ogden and I would spend about a week with them in the summer playing with their daughter Susan. Uncle Otto was a policeman in Ogden.
Uncle Dell and Aunt Laurena: Uncle Dell was the closes to Mom in age and also lived the closest to us. They lived in Clarkston and he was a carpenter. They also owned a farm where they grew hay. When I was in high school he fell off a scaffle while helping to build Gossner's Cheese factory and was killed. I remember it being very hard on his family since his oldest son was just a Sr. in high school. They had twin sons, so we had something in common.
Dad's Side:
Uncle Lee and Aunt Verla: Uncle Lee is Dad's brother and they lived in Smithfield while I was growing up. I spent a lot of time with their daughter Leighann. They eventually moved to Missouri and then to Massachusetts. He was the only one of Dad's siblings that was always active in the church. He served as a Bishop while in Massachusetts. They now live in Southern Ut.
Uncle Darve and Aunt Ruth: They lived just one block east of us. Even though we lived that close we didn't spend much time with them. Uncle Darve was a lot like Dad, he would tease in a quiet way.
Uncle Sylvan: He died when he was young. From what I can remember he was hit in the head with a rock and it caused his brain to hemorrhage. So I never knew him. I remember hearing stories about how he loved Dad and would run to him calling Wally, Wally, Wally.
Aunt Darlene and Uncle Charles: Aunt Darlene is Dad's only sister. They live in OH and she had 4 sons. I remember feeling sorry for her only having brothers and then only having sons. I loved it when she'd come to visit. She's the kind of person that always made me feel special. After graduating from high school Karen and I went a spent a couple weeks visiting them. She's a very kind thoughtful person. She's always been my favorite aunt.
Uncle Ken and Aunt Ann: Uncle Ken is Dad's youngest brother. They lived in Logan. Dad was closest to him than any of his other siblings. They had a baby boy who died at birth and never had any other children.
Times were different when I was growing up. If family members lived away, we really didn't visit them much. It was a treat to go to Ogden or Salt Lake a couple times a year to make a quick stop to visit each of my Aunts and Uncles. They would in turn stop by our place once in a while. Usually it was unannounced and very casual. Mom would always make sandwiches and we'd sit and eat lunch and visit.
2 comments:
It is fun to read about your aunts and uncles. I think of when you were a child, and when we were kids, compared to our children now. Life really has made it so much easier to see family more often than ever before if we live far away. I am grateful to know our children will have the opportunity to know their aunts and uncles more.
It was fun to read about your aunts and uncles. I now need to take some time to do this post on my blog.
Post a Comment