Sunday, March 15, 2009

Grandpa's spiritual experience

I called Grandpa this evening and he asked me, "Do you want to hear what happened to me early last week after you left?" (saying it like this was going to be something unusual) so I said, "You bet!"
He had gone to bed that night with a crossword puzzle, as he typically does, to relax enough to fall asleep and when he's too tired to keep his eyes open any longer he puts the paper on the nightstand with the pencil or pen on top of it, turns off the lamp on the nightstand and rolls over and goes to sleep.
He woke up the next morning after a good night's sleep and felt a little "disturbed" but still too sleepy to be fully awake and looked over to the nightstand and couldn't find the paper, pen or pencil in the normal place he thought he'd put it. He found the paper on the floor beside the bed and the pen or pencil stuffed between the sheets much later. He left the sliding door open to the bedroom and he noticed it was now shut and the furnace was just now turning on. He thought, "Did I leave the heat on all night long?" He went over to the heat register in the bedroom and the air was cold so he realized he hadn't left it on after all.
It was Grandma's practice to get out of bed before Grandpa and shut the door and turn the heat on so it would be warm when he got out of bed. He realized then that someone or something had shut the door and turned on the furnace for him and who could've it been but Grandma. It shook him up a little but after he came to his senses, he said, "Hon, just stop it! I'm doing OK. I'm fine...".
He realizes that this was probably Grandma's way of saying, "I'm fine and you will be, too. I'm here to help. You are not alone...".
I added my testimony by saying that similar experiences will probably be repeated but not as often in the near future.

3 comments:

Our Biggs Family said...

what an amazing experience. I am so grateful you shared this with us. I am also grateful Grandpa had that experience. We all know that we have loved ones on the other side still looking out for us and helping those of us on this side continue on even when it is hard. I am so grateful Grandpa had this too. Hopefully it will begin to help him develop the understanding and faith of the next life and bring him comfort in knowing that he will be with grandma again. I am grateful we could witness the love they both have for each other. THey are an example to us.

Anonymous said...

What a great experience. I am glad you shared it with us. I know that those we love who pass on before us are not too far away. They are the angles that minister to us during times of difficulty.

Kathy M. said...

As much as he'll miss her, that must have been a HUGE comfort for him... which I'm sure was the point. I'm always touched by these stories of how people manage to reach through the veil. Thanks for sharing it.