Sunday, February 22, 2009

Arlington National Cemetary






I flew to Washington, D.C. last week to Uncle Carrol's funeral ceremony at Arlington National Cemetary. I took several photos and video clips but put just a few on this blog. It is a sobering sight to see mile after mile, row after row of gravestones of the servicemen and women who served in our nation's armed services. Hearing "Taps" being played always chokes me up and this occasion was no different. It was nice to visit with cousins and relatives I only know by name and now I have a face to attach to the name. I didn't get to take photos or videos of the monuments and memorials on the Mall but drove around and saw some of the sights from the roads and streets but want to return in the future to spend more time there. I got to visit four more states (Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland and Virginia) that I never had been to before, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a neat experience! I am glad you were able to meet some family members. I am jealous you went to DC! That's one place I'd lke to go.

Our Biggs Family said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am so glad you were able to go and I know it meant a lot to grandpa too. Joel will be going to Minnesota next month. Some day I would like to say I have been farther east than Arizona! But, I don't see it happening anytime soon!

Anonymous said...

There will be a time that you'll be able to travel beyond the world encompassed by your children. Until then enjoy the time you have with them and your experiences with them. DAD